The Stone Castle
at Tennessee High School


The Stone Castle was built in 1937, during The Great Depression by the P.W.A., the Public Works Administration.




The P.W.A. did other projects in the Bristol area, including Central School, Rosemont

School, and other schools for Bristol and Sullivan County.



The Stone Castle has served as home to Tennessee High, Virginia High, Slater, Douglas,

and King College. For many years the stadium was run by the city, but was eventually

turned over to the school system.




The Stadium was renovated in 1986 at a cost of $500,000, 49 years after its construction.

The Stone Castle's original cost was $34,000, paid mostly by the Federal Government, and the rest

by the city.




This site was created by THS student Justyn Edgar, Spring 2010.
Photo credits: Justyn Edgar